Wednesday, April 7, 2010

a smaller song

Dear General Powell,

I don't really know what to say.  I don't really do fan mail, but, I heard you speak at this ridiculous 'motivational seminar' a few months back and your voice has stayed with me. 

Your stories were filled with joy and humility and such an authentic appreciation for the balance between a life of service and the service to a life, that I wanted to let you know you affected me.

And I wonder if you'd like to come to dinner the next time you're in L.A. 

This is, perhaps, an unrealistic request; you are monumentally busy and have all manner of important things to attend to, I know, but there are so many things I'd like to talk with you about. 

I am curious about your life now and how it must feel to be (mostly) accountable to yourself after a lifetime of service to others.  (How is your wife handling it?)  I'd like to hear how you're faring with Facebook; has your grandson continued his tutelage?  And for once, I'd like to talk about Vietnam.  If you knew me, you'd know is a rare occurrence, since my father was killed there, but I wonder what it was like to participate in that conflict and I'd like to hear how that experience informed the decisions you made later in your career. 

And something tells me you know some really dirty jokes.  I'd like to hear those, too.

If you can make time to join us, let us know your favorite dish.  Christopher, my beloved, can make just about anything, and it's always good.  (He just got a new smoker and now no one can beat his spareribs!)

If you cannot make it, well, that sucks. 

Still, I am still thrilled to have been able to hear you speak,  In the midst of the pyrotechnics and the chorus of 'God Bless America', it was your smaller song, filled with intellgence and honesty and humor, that showed you to be a real patriot and the sort of leader we are so lucky to have known.

Warmest regards and heartfelt thanks,

Leigh Anne

P.S.  Please bring your lovely wife.  She sounds like a hoot.

0 thoughts:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing